What do you mean my first job is to call someone in Perth?



0 comments
I read somewhere that you shouldn't blog about your job because of the risks involved but I figured that 1) since this isn't actually a job (in the sense that they're paying me), 2) I'm not talking about company policies/whatnot and 3) I'm not going to badmouth them at all, it should be okay? I REALLY JUST WANT TO TALK ABOUT THIS AND I NEED TO DO IT HERE. What if I made a vague list? Would that be acceptable? Okay, so here goes:

  • Internship
  • 2 days a week
  • Corporate company
  • Got me own phone, desk, computer and swivelly chair
  • Everything is so clean, nice and modern looking
  • Handshake, handshake, I hope I remember all these names
  • Tour time! Meeting rooms, offices, reception and cafeteria ("Don't buy food there"). Okay, noted.
  • Oooh look, a room full of stationary! It's free? No way!
  • Nice people everywhere
  • I am an awkward person
  • Why does everyone here look like a German supermodel??
  • I need more professional looking clothes
  • I get my own card? Epic! Now I can use the lifts, open doors, print stuff and go to the toilet. Yes!!!
  • This is intimidating. Everyone looks so professional and accomplished
  • Ahhh, so this is what you do
  • Lunch? You guys are inviting me to lunch? *cue tears of happiness at not having to eat alone at my desk*
  • Okay changed my mind, everything is too expensive
  • Back to office
  • Awkward lift moments are awkward
  • My first task is to call up a guy in Perth and interview him? Oh yeah sure, nah, I got this.
  • (inwardly) AAAAAAAAAAAAARGGGGGGGGGGHHH PANIC!!!!!!
  • Frantically Whatsapp the girlies for help even though I shouldn't be using my phone.
  • Google is my best friend: 'how to make interstate calls', ' how to use an excel spreadsheet', 'what is neo gloss paper?', 'how to stop being such an awkward person' 
  • Calls up tech desk to get Chrome installed on my computer
  • Waits for someone to turn up
  • Mouse on my computer starts to move without me touching it
  • Omg I am watching someone install programs onto the computer remotely. Can they see all the retarded shit I've been googling??
  • Nothing for me to do, pretty sure everyone's forgotten about the intern
  • Swivel, swivel, spin!
  • Whoops, I think that guy saw me. Sorry, I'll behave.
  • Let's try looking busy and accomplished
  • Scribble in my FREE notebook with my FREE pen hehehehe
  • Busy people everywhere, making calls and doing important things
  • Do I want to see the merchandise basement? Of course I want to see the merchandise basement!
  • Stocktake time!
  • Complimentary stuff everywhere
  • Wait, you're chucking those mugs out?? But there's like, 300 of them.
  • Oh? You'll give some to me? Wow, okay. And those notebooks too? And the plastic poncho?
  • BEST JOB EVER GUYS.
  • Back to ze desk.
  • I wish someone would give me stuff to do.
  • Continues wasting space for an hour - yep, they've definitely forgotten about me
  • Hello! Why of course, I'll draw up the table of contents for you
  • Finally, something I feel comfortable doing - I knows how to use ze Microsoft Word very well
  • Admin tasks for the intern. I don't even care. I LOVE MINDLESS JOBS.
  • Somewhat glad that no one has asked me to make coffee (yet) because...I don't know how. I think I need to learn when I get home.
  • Tries to figure out how to structure the email webinar invite
  • Pretty sure I screwed something up. Oh god, I'm so sorry, I'll get better I swear
  • More phone calls to make. Okay, you can do this. Just be normal.
  • Everyone's going home. Office is quiet. This is getting creepy.
  • Been sitting in the same spot for like, 8 and half hours
  • Yes! Dad's here. Finally time to go home.
  • I'm so pooped.
That was actually my first two days mashed up into one but you get the gist of it. I've never been in an environment like that before so it was definitely a big learning experience. I just wish there were people my age I could talk to. Everyone's really nice but they chat about things like, buying apartments, starting families, travelling to Perth, etc. And they're obviously really close-knit. I kind of feel like the lost puppy getting underfoot.

The other problem is that I'm obviously there for quite long hours cause I can't go home until my dad does. That's almost 18 hours at the office over the two days. One week in and I'm already lagging behind in terms of university work. My week schedule now goes something like 2 days interning, 2 days going to uni and 1.5 days working at my real job. That leaves me 1.5 days to get serious work done...






0 comments:

Post a Comment

newer post older post