Sneaking into USYD



2 comments
NewsDay: (1) a day where UTS journalism students arrive at university very early in the morning, get briefed individually or in pairs by the tutors and then basically have about 8 hours to chase up a story, interview sources, write an article and then file it. (2) a day of mental breakdowns for many UTS journalism students.

Funny story guys. I spent about 2 hours last night raiding my mum's wardrobe for professional looking clothes to wear for Newsday. Our tutors had warned us that we might be sent to parliament, a press conference, a farm, etc. I knew some people who had done NewsDay the day before and they'd been sent to the much publicized Tom/Gai Waterhouse/John Singleton racing inquiry. I didn't want to look like a total doof. I also spent quite a fair amount of time doing a cram session on the latest news. Yes, I even read about rugby league.

When I arrived at uni this morning, I found out the three people before me had been sent to a football stadium and had been instructed to chase up a story about The Roosters. A scan of Twitter told me that earlier, some people had been sent to Newcastle.

What did I end up getting?

USYD.

I was sent to USYD.

HELLS YEAH.

It was about time I got me some good luck. The gods must've been smiling down at me. Maybe this was compensation for landing me with Kiama a few weeks back. I don't know. I don't even care. It was the best thing to have happened to me during this course.

Anyhow, my friend and I researched for an hour or two before heading off to the university. We got there and once again, my heart died a little as I caught a glimpse of USYD's epic green lawns. Why can't UTS have lawns? WHYYYY?? If I went to USYD, I would just bring a blanket to uni everyday and spend my breaks lying there staring up at the sky. I wouldn't care how idiotic I looked, I would do it. That place is so beautiful, it breaks my heart.

Ahem. Back to this UTS student infiltrating  USYD in order to complete a  UTS journalism assignment (how ironic is that?). My friend and I wandered around the campus for about ten minutes soaking up the awesomeness. Okay just kidding, we were kind of lost. We needed to find the New Law Annexe Building or something like that but ended up going to the wrong law building. Seriously USYD? One law building isn't enough? I mean they're connected by a bridge thing but it's still technically two buildings. We finally found it though and did our thing. We then went back to our crappy but loveable brown lego block of a campus where I stayed at uni until 6pm working on the article.

There was some whole other debacle with calling up an extra source for my article but I can't be bothered going into that. In the end, it all kind of worked out anyway. I mean, this story was probably the crappiest piece of shit I'd ever written but at least I finished it. And that's all that matters in the end.



2 comments:

Cecilia at: May 9, 2013 at 10:03 AM said...

Ivy told me about having to do this!! Haha what was your news story on? It sounds so freaking intense :'(

Cynthia at: May 9, 2013 at 12:16 PM said...

Mine was pretty laid back. Went to a talk about malaria in East Africa and just had to do my story on that. I think I might've gotten the easiest assignment.

Post a Comment

newer post older post