March 27



0 comments
I never blog about my days anymore. I remember when I used to post about each and every little thing that I did along with all these random thoughts about nothing in particular. But I don't do that anymore. Either too much stuff has happened and trying to document it all is like trying to scoop water out of a leaking boat, or too little has happened and frankly, I don't think you give two shits about my life.

But for old time's sake, let's just do this.

I woke up at 7:30 and wanted to shoot my phone for the bloody annoying sound it made. The alarm is currently set to this weird nature jingle complete with whistling birds and twinkling brooks. It was a good sound when I first chose it but I guess the constant association with early morning wake-up calls just killed my affection for it. I should probably change it.

I got out of the house at about 8:30am and walked to the station. I got a crappy, old train. After I got on, I kind of scanned the carriage to see if there was anyone on there that I knew. It's a habit of mine. To be honest, I don't know why I bother since nobody takes the Bankstown line anyway.

Got to university at 9:30am and since I had about 20 minutes to spare before I had to be at my new internship (yes, I got a new internship everybody! Woo, more free labour!), I sat in the DAB hangout area and turned on my laptop. Checked my email and found out that they didn't need me in after all because they didn't have time to show me the ropes today.

Okay then. I'll just sit here. For the next 3 hours. 'Cause class doesn't start till 1.

 I contemplated doing work but well, when you're not feeling it, you're just not feeling it y'know? I also contemplated getting food but after calculating the distance from the hangout area to the nearest foot outlet (approximately 200 metres), I decided that it wasn't worth the physical exertion. Plus I was playing that game where you stare at the back of people's head and see how long it takes for them to turn around and achieve uncomfortable eye contact with you. Hi. Yes I was just staring at you. But you don't know that because now I'm acting like I was lost in some deep, philosophical thoughts and you just happened to be in my line of vision.

Tian came and visited me and we laughed at a video on YouTube of a little girl cry-singing "Do You Want to Build a Snowman" whilst her mum pulls a splinter out of her leg. Tian went off to class at 12 leaving me all by my lonesome again. But half an hour later, Michaela came to visit me and we got about 10 minutes of studying before we started walking to class.

Met up with everyone else in front of the classroom and talked a bit about the 'protest' in front of the tower. And by protest, I meant free sausage sizzle. As soon as the doors opened though, we made a beeline for the 3rd row. Always sit in the 3rd row guys. Rows 1 and 2 are too close and the back row is easy pickings for answering questions. The trick is to look busy and contemplative. That way, the teacher doesn't want to disrupt your train of thought and will move to the next victim.

I learnt stuff. And I daydreamed about food. And Matt, Jess, Michaela and I laughed at the hapless victims of Row 2 as one by one, they got singled out to write answers on the board. We also laughed at our ineptitude of the grasp of pinyin. But it was more the 'look how fucked we are for mid-sems' type of laugh.

Near the end of class, I was about to head to the library with the rest of the guys to get some 'studying' in but suddenly received a text from Nancy telling me that she and Tian were up for lunch.

So I walked to Town Hall.

It was a nice walk. As soon as I got out of the Ultimo/UTS area, I had this immense feeling of freedom. I love the city. I love that in this small area, there is such a large concentration of shops, restaurants and hangout areas. And they're all within walking distance of the Ugly Tall Structure. And to think I was thinking of transferring to UNSW. (I was actually - but let's not get into that).

I met up with my fellow partners in crime near World Square and after a not-so-sincere restaurant hunt, we decided on Nandos 'cause like, chicken. And then there was food and venting and I was happy.



After that, I realised that I had to start heading back to uni for my 5pm lecture. But well, when you're just not feeling it, you're just not feeling it y'know? Plus, faced with the options of learning about political globalization or spending more time with my other halves (or is it thirds?), there clearly was only one path to take.

So we went to the Asian grocery and bought banana milk.

And macarons because they were just sitting there all cute and tiny and there was even an Earl Grey + Blueberry one and it looked so adorable that we couldn't resist plus guys they were all $1 each.

We walked a little further up George Street and Nancy went after the frozen coke like a freaking homing pigeon. We chilled for a bit and then they had to catch their train so I walked back to UTS. I took the longest detour though, going through unnecessary streets such as the one past Market City*. I just felt like walking. I would've walked to Darling Harbour if I had the time because I really just wanted to hold on to that temporary feeling of freedom.

*Slight digression but I've got a reason for constantly walking past Market City. I once thought I saw someone I knew there, smoking in one of the arches but hadn't stopped to confirm. Maybe I'll get into that story some other time - it's 11:54 right now and I've got a 9am start tomorrow.

All too soon, I was back at the University of Technological-Incompetence Sydney. I chatted to Janice for a bit (she'd skipped the lecture as well) and we did our usual 'omg what is this bullshit subject' rant.

People arrived. I asked Mika if there was anything important I missed. She said 'tuna'. I said 'ok'. We talked about journalism. Poor girl is super stressed and deserves a week of no interviews or articles, preferably spent with that cute boy in her French class. The tutor asked questions. Usual guy in the front answered them. She asked a question again. The class did it's usual awkward silence/no response thing. I didn't want her to feel bad so I made up a shitty response on the spot. Cue word vomit about globalization. Immediately regretted it but whoops too late. I really should stop doing that. She talked, we listened. And I didn't learn anything.

We got out of the classroom at 7:50pm. It was raining and in typical Cynthia fashion, I'd forgotten my umbrella so I took the tunnel route. Bumped into Kellie as she was coming down the escalators and we talked about Japan on the way to the station. I was standing on the platform when Eric walked past. He backtracked and I introduced him to Kellie just before we got onto the train.

Kellie got off at Ashfield and for the rest of the trip home, Eric and I caught up. It was nice actually. We talked about people from high school, how second year was so different from first, our expectations from uni, the weird lack of CVH-ers at UTS, what we'd been up to, people we'd met, people we'd drifted from, how much our priorities have changed since high school, my need to party, his need to stay home and be anti-social, the shittiness of having no car, Sherlock theories, the return of DW in September and how Joffrey was a complete asswipe but Jack Gleeson was the embodiment of awesomeness.

I got off at Fairfield (after almost crippling Eric with my super heavy bag) and arrived home at about 9:05pm. Zoned out for about 10 minutes before walking over to Tian's. Nancy came over and we sat on the brand spanking new green couch which I have already considered mine because I will one day burgle it from Tian's house. We split the macarons we'd bought this afternoon and watched Horrible Histories and South Park. Gym Boy was gaming but we gave him some macarons.

We then headed back to our individual houses and I thought about doing a bit of work. But when you're not feeling it, you're just not feeling it y'know?

So here I am. And this was my day condensed into one blog post (albeit a super long one). I hope you've been sufficiently entertained by my monotonous, unglamorous life. And if not, give yourself a pat on the back for getting through the whole thing. You really should stop procrastinating though and get back to your assignment. For sure, that essay ain't gonna complete itself. (Yo Nanc, I'm talking to you.)

Til next time then,

Cynth

0 comments:

Post a Comment

newer post older post