Movie Review: "Sunny"



0 comments

 
 
Has anyone ever looked through their parent's old photos? I did recently... and kind of wished I hadn't because, oh lordy! Those high wasted pants. That perm. Denim jackets. Colour blocking! It was all too much for my poor, sensitive eyes.

Watching this movie, I was reminded of tragic '70s - '80s fashion. Thankfully, the movie itself wasn't tragic at all. In fact it was pretty freakin' awesome. I laughed so hard, I almost fell off the couch - no joke. There were some sad bits in there too and these were pretty gut wrenching but the humour really does outweigh all of the other stuff. (Or maybe that's just me and my superhuman ability to remain emotionally distanced from films.)
 
 
I bet you can't tell which one's the new girl.
 

In a nutshell, Sunny is about seven close friends who hung out in high school and then drifted apart afterwards. Many years later, the protagonist (Im Na Mi) tries to reunite the group because one of the other members has cancer and wishes to see everyone together one last time. It's filmed in flashback mode, alternating between a 1980s and a present day setting.
 
You can probably tell from the trailer but one of the best things about this film was the interaction between the cast. These girls are crazy. Like legit, let's go jump off a bridge crazy. But you would kill to have them as your friends throughout high school. I also love how they didn't change much once they reached adulthood.



There's a hilarious scene where the adult versions of themselves get arrested for beating up a couple of teenage bullies. While they're riding in the police car, they start singing the Sunny song (Sunny, yesterday my life was filled with rain / Sunny, you smiled at me and really eased the pain). It's hilarious because it's so incongruent to the situation that they are in. Actually, I just found it on YouTube:
 

 
And here I thought my dancing was pretty terrible.
 
Interesting fact about the film: it's actually the second highest grossing Korean film ever. It sold over 7.38 million admissions. Of course, that statistic is from wiki so you might want to take it with a grain of salt.
 
Anyway, I really liked the movie and I'm sure you guys would too. So check it out if you have the chance to.
 
 
(Source)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

newer post older post