Gu Family Book



0 comments
On Saturday, I subbed for another tutor at work. I was taking her year 2 class, teaching the kids how to spell 'ull' words like 'full' and 'bull'. While I was running through the examples, a little boy in the back row stuck his hand up and said:

"Miss. Did you know a bull ran into my grandpa? And then I got a new grandpa!"

So obviously I was really confused and asked him to repeat himself.

"A bull ran into my grandpa and I never saw him again. And then I got a new grandpa!"


The funny thing is that the kid was so excited to tell me this fact. He almost fell out of his chair with enthusiasm.

*************

This is now my second week of holidays and I still haven't done anything productive. I promised myself at the beginning that I wouldn't fall into any of my old habits. Well guess how that worked out?

I can't believe this happened but I've started watching kdramas again. I know, I thought that whole era was behind me too. I mean, after sitting through all three seasons of The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, seven of Doctor Who, four of True Blood and numerous episodes of Sherlock, Suits and Grey's Anatomy, you'd think I'd have weaned myself off shoddy directing and cheesy, melodramatic storylines.

But no.

I'm not quite sure what this says about me as a person. That fact that I enjoy watching clichéd plots that are desperately over-acted and interrupted every five minutes with sweeping, emotive music is a little bit worrying. I like to think that my tastes are a bit more evolved now. Um, no, Cynthia. There is obviously a demon inside you that feeds on the stuff and you will never be rid of it - no matter how many intellectually stimulating hobbies you try to pick up to pass yourself off as a credible, mature, university student. My love for kdramas is like an irritating pimple condition. The more you try to fight it, the more it spreads and grows. It's a bit like the PSY and herpes comparison actually.

Anyhow, the current obsession is called Gu Family Book and it's a sageuk (historical)/fantasy/romance/comedy/action/revenge fusion. These things have really convoluted storylines so I'm not even going to bother describing it. But here's an interesting fact: the main character is half human/half gumiho (a mythical nine tailed fox-demon in Korean folklore). He's played by Lee Seung-gi - the guy from My Girlfriend is a Gumiho. So basically he's graduated from the gumiho's boyfriend to an actual gumiho. Ha. Okay, I can tell nobody gives a shit about this stuff so I'm just going to pic spam the rest of the post.

 


(Source)
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
And here are some goofing off images which made me smile:
 
 
 
 
 
Guy in the back left corner is totally cramping my style.
 
 
 
Not you too Suzy! (You're cute - I give you that. But you still can't act for marbles).

0 comments:

Post a Comment

newer post older post