Song of the Week: "20 Years" by The Civil Wars



2 comments


 
 
******************
 
Quick backstory on the video: The Civil Wars held a contest for filmmakers to create the official video for the song, "20 Years" from their debut album, Barton Hollow. This video, from South African production company, Innerview Productions, was the winner and depicts one of the realities of the South Apartheid regime. Often the husband had to leave his family to work in the mines to sustain his family financially.
 
It's a bit sad but suits the song so well.
 
*******************
 
Hello world! (a.k.a the 11 people who read this blog - nice having you by the way). How's it going? Great? Not great? So-so? It's nearly Christmas - I guess that means we should all be happy or something. It's okay if you aren't though. Join the club.
 
To be honest, I really shouldn't be complaining; I have plenty to be grateful for after all. I guess I'm just a little bit worried about the upcoming HSC results. There's also the little matter of me having changed my uni course preferences quite recently and drastically rethinking my future plans due to a bit of an existential crisis... but we won't talk about that here. I'm too confused and lost as it is. Let's just sweep it under the rug and and suffer the consequences of denial later. There we go.
 
Instead, let me introduce you all to my new best friend!
 
 
This picture of my new Samsung Galaxy S III was taken by my recently replaced 4th Gen Apple iPod Touch. Oh the irony... 
 
Isn't he cute? I find myself constantly picking him up and fondling him whenever I have nothing better to do. He makes such cute noises when he's turned on! And his screen is so large... I know people say size doesn't matter but PHEW! That is one ginormous screen! And don't even get me started on how responsive he is to my touch...
 
Wait, what do you mean that last paragraph was dirty? You're dirty! Get your head out of the gutter! You've been watching way too many HBO shows haven't you??
 
Speaking of HBO, I've recently finished season 2 of Game of Thrones. My life has no purpose now (not that it really had a purpose before but like, you know what I mean). Should I start reading the third book? I really want to, because of that big controversial thing that's supposed to happen in the third season. At the same time though, reading the books kind of takes the fun out of the TV shows.
 
I will now take a moment to disrupt the flow of this post to tell future Cynthia something:
 
CYNTHIA WHY'RE SUCH A BIG PUSHOVER?? I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU JUST AGREED TO SPEND TWO HOURS OF TOMORROW DOING THAT THING YOU WEREN'T GOING TO DO. GAHHH. YOU BETTER NOT BE LIKE THIS IN THE FUTURE, OTHERWISE YOU'D PROBABLY BE LIVING OUT OF A CARDBOARD BOX SOMEWHERE IN CHINATOWN!!
 
Ahem, right. So what was I going to say? Oh yeah, Tian and I will be performing at our school's presentation day next Tuesday as part of the violin ensemble. Yay! One plate of public embarassment coming right up! I swear, we've done these things so many times now that I don't even feel the shame of it anymore. I've probably grown skin as tough as elephant hide by now. Stare all you want people. Mrs M. ain't gonna make us stop playing anytime soon so y'all just have to sit there quietly and pretend you're enjoying our totally not-outdated Classical music.  
 
Till next time then guys.
 




2 comments:

Jubified at: December 15, 2012 at 10:04 PM said...

LOL! that paragraph.

Cynthia at: December 16, 2012 at 8:45 PM said...

I actually didn't intend for it to sound dirty the first time but after I re-read it, I realised how suggestive it was. LOL

Post a Comment

newer post older post